Sunday, January 1, 2012

A Fresh Start

While you might think since it's January 1st, that the title of this entry is referring to some kind of resolution. Nope. I don't do resolutions. Only because I don't follow through with them. ;)  I'm certainly not going to make known to the world what I'm resolving to do or not do this year, only to forget about it 3 days later. But, the new year does bring that "fresh start" feeling. The feeling that you can somehow start over, or do better. It does for me anyway. 


It feels pretty similar to baking bread. I'm quickly falling in love with baking bread. <3 You get the "fresh start" feeling, every time you go to bake a loaf. I'm not new to baking, I love to bake. But baking bread has always been intimidating. Well, yeast intimidates me. It's 'alive' you say? Okay, that's scary enough right there. But, thankfully I have a friend that was willing to come over and show me that it's not that scary after all. The BEST part about it, is if you mess up, or it doesn't turn out just right....you get to try again. If at first you don't succeed, try, try again. Plus, nothing, and I really mean nothing, beats the smell of a hot, fresh loaf of bread straight out of the oven. Even if it tasted horrible and turned out like a brick...it would likely still smell wonderful. But that is beside the point. The point is...each loaf of bread you make is a fresh start. You get to fix what you think you did wrong last time. Or tweak something this time. It's just a great feeling. There is something about baking bread for your family that is truly satisfying. It's like....we can make it through anything as a family, and we will have bread. :) It is a very simply way to use what God provides for our family, and it feels good. 


Is there anything better than warm bread from the oven frosted with butter and drizzled with honey? I think not.




So, one thing I will say I am resolving to do it blog more. Not because it's the new year, but because I want to. ;) Even though I've hardly blogged at all, and not once in over 6 months, it doesn't change that I still enjoy looking back and reading them. I'm not a writer, and will never pretend to be. In fact, maybe I will share my hideous diary entries from my younger years someday. I promise, you will be terrified. And you might wonder, if you don't already, how I can even form a basic sentence. It's bad..but still, I'm glad I have it to look back on. Same with this blog. I also would like to keep a diary of sorts of my baking adventures. The good, the bad, and the ugly. Most likely, a lot of ugly. But, that is okay...it makes for good pictures. :)


So Happy New Year!!...I'm off to find a something a little more difficult than the basic white bread recipe I've attempted so far. Maybe I'll get a little crazy and make some rolls. Stay tuned...

4 comments:

  1. I think you are way too critical of your ability to write... you do a great job! I love that you're trying new things. You will surely find plenty of hidden treasures that God has put within you!

    So wish your pictures had smellevision tho.... ummmmm!!

    Love,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. So excited to keep up with your sweet family through your blog!
    Amanda
    PS. I promise your card is going to be put in the mail tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I got your card Amanda..and it was gorgeous!!<3

    ReplyDelete